Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Washington Park restrooms

UPDATE: click here to read the SJ-R's editorial on this topic (from the 12/27 paper).


Today's State Journal-Register had a very informative story on the front page regarding the closing of the Washington Park shelter restrooms during the winter:

The portable toilet is near the tennis courts in Washington Park. A short distance away, near the playground, are permanent restrooms with heat and running water. During the winter months, however, the real restrooms are kept locked around-the-clock.

Stratton said this is the second year for such an approach. The main reasons were to reduce utility costs and to eliminate the problem of homeless people taking up residence in the restrooms, he said.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have not once noticed homeless people "taking up residence" in the restroom. I have noticed what I thought were homeless people on picnic tables during the summer, but the restroom never seemed to have a problem. Also, I don't really understand why the concern is only during the winter months? If it is such a problem, would it not be year round? And if that is the case, why even have the restrooms?

I think this is a real pain to have the restrooms locked during the winter, especially since there are still many runners who frequent the park during that time of year. These are our tax dollars at work. While new parks are constructed on the far west and far south sides (great additions...I don't have a problem with them at all) are resources for the central city parks being neglected? Is it too much to ask to have someone lock/unlock the restrooms so people could use them during normal park hours?

If the restrooms continue to be locked during the winter, we will probably move the Tue/Thu Half Wits runs to Lincoln Park se we can use the Nelson Center restrooms.

Anyway, just wondering your thoughts?

If you would like to contact the Park District regarding this issue, here is a link to their website.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Also, I don't really understand why the concern is only during the winter months? If it is such a problem, would it not be year round?"

Tim, I believe it is only a winter time concern because homeless people don't need to find a heated shelter in the summer. It is not a year-round need.

Anne B said...

It was a good article. Some of us were running in the park when Mr. Johnson discovered the disgusting state of the port-o-potty. He is a super nice guy who regularly walks in the park. I don't know if there is a homeless person problem in the park; comments on the SJ-R website would seem to indicate that there is. But the park gets heavy use in the winter immediately after work. It would sure be nice if there was some way to keep those restrooms open until 6, or even 5:30.

Tim said...

Anon:

You are correct, and I do understand the winter "need."

I guess what I meant to say is why is it OK to be concerned about the homeless in the restrooms during the winter, but not be concerned about them on the picnic tables during the summer?

If the park district (or those residents who have complained) have decided they don't want the homeless in the park...we'll, they should be consistent, right?

We do have a homeless problem in Springfield, and I don't know what the answer is. I don't like the homeless "taking up residence" around our public library, but it is something we need to deal with. And it did not take shutting down the whole library to address it.

I don't think the answer is locking the restrooms so no one can use them. That really does not do good for anyone.

I could be wrong on this issue...but I just want to use the restroom! (LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have a thing about restrooms also. Two years ago, during Halfwits the restrooms were open and I never noticed any homeless people in there. We were out there from 5:15 to about 6:45 p.m. Why don't they just lock them at about 9:00 or whenever the park is suppose to close. I didn't notice the porta potty, but that would help. Did something happen in the porta potty? I haven't read the paper, I just got back from Chicago.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Yes Tim, I too read the article and thought once again Springfield struggles to think "outside the box." HMMMM like we all figured out, just lock them up at night. Seems like a logical answer but sometimes that seems so simple it gets overlooked with committees, leaders and park boards. I too have never noticed a homeless in the restroom. I think more concerned should be stressed on the attempted rape this summer and the 12 yr. old boy who was accosted near the tennis courts in November. He was pushed off his bike and shirt ripped open and scratched with a stick. Did anyone see the small article it got? I think the homeless are not the ones we need to fear. Tim, how about a petition circulated by you signed by all of us runners. Numbers help. Let us know. We need the bathrooms back!!

Kim

Emily K said...

Ah! Alas a Pam comment! Sure have missed hearing from you! :)

I however DID have a problem one time when using the bathroom~ I about freaked out when I was about ready to sit down on the toilet and heard some feet shuffling in the bathroom next to me... I noticed they didn't look like womens shoes... Right when I was about to judo chop this person, low a behold of all people, it was BARRY! Ho Hum I thought~ so I went ahead and pee'd!

Emily K said...

BTW, just kidding! But sounded good! Heh! Heh! Heh! Just had to break the seriousness! :)

Anonymous said...

I was afraid Pam was stranded on a tropical island without any beer or tombstone pizza; but now we find out she's only been in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Does club member and park board member, Brian Reardon have any influence? Would he consider our concerns?

Anonymous said...

Is there a way we (Tim or Barry or others) can get a key on the nights of the runs and lock up afterwards.

Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

Mr Hankey The Christmas Poo visted us. What a surprise.

Barry House said...

I really didn't expect you to recognize my shoes, Em . . . LOL!

I just now encountered this whole thread of comments. Disclaimer: I live in Chatham so I do NOT pay the property taxes that suppot the Springfield Park District.

That said, I think locking the restrooms at closing time for the parks is a great idea. Year round.

Or really, any time that Emily is wanting to use one or both of them. That would work too.

Anonymous said...

Emily, Yes, I have started to come out of my cave. I'm not totally out yet, still sleeping in and digesting all the Nov and Dec. treats. I saw Tim Mu. today for the first time since the marathon! It was great to see him and Rich.

And "Anonymous" I have been on an island with Tombstone pizza and beer and that's why I have not come out of my cave, lol. It's been great until I got out of my sweats and tried on my pants, Yikes!!!! I'm in pain and hope I don't sneeze anytime soon or I'll hurt someone.

Hope all is well with everyone and I'll definately see everyone at Halfwits, :).

Pamela

Anonymous said...

I read this article as well. I have never seen homeless people in the park or encountered any in the restroom at the park. The restrooms are definitely important for the runners and others using the park. So, I agree that they should just unlock them during the day.

But if this doesn't happen, I'm up for moving the HalfWits Tues/Thurs training to Lincoln Park if that is necessary.