Monday, October 15, 2007

Ron Ottaway - Ironman World Champion

In the past month, some of us have personally had a bad race, run or whatever experience comes to mind. Some may question, if it is worth continuing to try or do it all over again. The dream is to to experience the euphoric feeling of running the perfect race. It doesn't matter where you place, but to know you did everything you can and gave it your all. No regrets.

I have a friend to share. He is a co-worker of mine who currently works part-time. Recently, he has moved back to his home town in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Since, I have been running, he and has always been an inspiration to me and other people in the SRRC community. If you ever met him and asked, "How are you, Ron?" His response would always would be, "Fine, It's a wonderful life!" Such positive attitude and so infectious. You can't help but smile.

Ron is 70 years young and has competed many Ironman events. The Ironman event consist of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run. This takes place every year in Hawaii. As long as I have known Ron, his dream was to win the competition. But every passing year, he has become the bridesmaid in this event for as long as I can remember. He has finished 2nd , 3rd and 4th place finishes, countless times. I have to admit and others have wonder if he would ever win that darn thing. You can't help root for him every year.

Well, my friends, on October 13, 2007, Ron lived his dream. After so many years of heartbreaks, grueling hours of training and races that didn't go as planned, it all finally paid off. He finished the race in 13 hours and 5 minutes and 41 seconds. He finally became a World Champion. I couldn't be more proud. He never gave up. Always the determined soul! So, I want to extend a big congratulations here and share his accomplishment with others.

So, if you ever think you should give up or think it is too late to accomplish your personal goals, think of my friend Ron, a man who is 70 years young!

Here is a link to his finish. It is well worth watching. It is awesome!

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/ironman/video/2007/kona/2007finish.wvx?starttime=5:07:44.00&endtime=00:00:54.00
(Click on the link or copy and paste it to your browser)

5 comments:

Emily K said...

Truly an inspiration to me as well!!! I know I will definitely continue to run! Maybe do an ironman too??? Hmmmmm... Wow!! We are never to "young" to quit are we????
-Em :):)

Anonymous said...

That is really neat. Ron looked better at the end of his Ironman, than I did after the marathon.

Kim, did you get your video from the marathon. Should be funny!

Pamela

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.

Rosie Jones said...

hello... I had done a google search for Ron Ottaway, Ironman Championships and found this blog!

I am very PROUD to say that Ron Ottaway has been a beloved member of the Midwest Xtreme Tri Club since 2008.

The reason I'm writing is to ask for prayers for Ron as he was just diagnosed with Lymphoma 2 weeks ago.

I truly believe their is power in numbers and power in prayer. Please keep Ron in your thoughts and prayers as he fights this battle! We want him back out on the race course where he inspires us all!

Rosie Jones
Founder/Vice President
Midwest Xtreme Tri Club
Cedar Rapids, Iowa