Thursday, March 08, 2007

So, you run, but what about your health?

Today was a day that I had been thinking about for a long time.

As some of you know from last year's posts, my father passed away almost two years ago. He had prostate cancer and after about eight years it got the best of him on April 1, 2005.

Cancer has a nice little history in my family. My father and his brother and father all had prostate cancer. My mother, who passed away in 1994, and her father had colon cancer. I kind of feel like I have a big bullseye on my back when it comes to cancer.

My father and I had many conversations about prostate cancer after he was diagnosed and had surgery for it. The thing that really has stuck with me is that, while the disease may not be preventable, you can certainly take many preventative measures and do your best to combat it.

So, why was today a big day? Well, I turn 40 in a few weeks and for someone with my family history of cancer, the doc has said for many years that 40 is when I should start being checked for prostate cancer.

For a long time I have been thinking that I would schedule an annual check-up near my 40th birthday and today was that day. After a discussion with the doc about tests surrounding colon cancer (colonoscopy) and prostate cancer, well...he asked if I wanted to start being checked for prostate cancer.

Of course, that entails subjecting oneself to a digital exam. And for those of you who don't know what that is...well I would suggest that you click here.

I told him, yes...I have thought about this for many years, and 4o is the year. With what has happened in my family, I want to be as proactive as I can.

So...today was my first digital exam. And I have to say, instead of finding it demeaning, I actually found that I was empowered.

I was taking control of my health future. I have seen first-hand what that ravaging disease cancer does to my loved ones, and I am going to do whatever I can to fight it taking hold in my life.

For those men who have reached the age where they should be checked for prostate cancer...well...JUST DO IT. Don't be proud. Don't be afraid. Embrace your future and look that damned cancer right in the eye to say "you are not going to get the best of me!"

Here's a few facts about prostate cancer:

* More than 230,000 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed this year.
* One out of every six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer (think about that when we are standing around Saturday waiting to run...one in six of us!)
* More than 30,000 men will die from prostate cancer this year (the second leading cause of cancer death in men).

For more information on prostate cancer and prevention, check out the Prostate Cancer Education Council and the National Prostate Cancer Coalition.

Get informed and get checked...NOW!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fondly now refer to my awesome husband as "Digitally Remastered". Wifes and significant others - encourage your husbands to care for their health. They sometimes think they're invincible or worry about their families more than themselves. We want them around for the long haul!

Anne B said...

Tim - While it's an uncomfortable subject, kudos to you for posting this information. Those of you who know me know that my dad passed away in September from prostate cancer that had spread into the spine, and like Tim's dad, it was about an 8-year battle. Dad was never one to go get regular physicals and I do believe that had he felt otherwise, he might still be with us.

So Guys --- as uncomfortable as it may be, go get checked out. It may save your life.

Mary L. Rogers said...

If you see my husband running a race or out for any of the socials, etc., you'll notice a "Livestrong" bracelet on his wrist - it's been there for years -he never takes it off. His uncle right now is fighting a very tough battle against cancer. His father battled prostate cancer. He has cousins and other uncles and aunts who have battled various cancers - some won, some lost. In fact - most of the deaths in his family are cancer related. And he stood by my side during my scare with ovarian cancer last fall and when I had surgery to remove a lump from my breast a few years ago.

But Wendy - I agree with you - he thinks he is invincible and worries more about his family than taking care of himself. He runs, bikes, maintains a healthy lifestyle, eats mello cream only three times a week instead of five, makes sure we eat fish and vegetables and red wine (God, love him!), but it took quite a bit of convincing to go in for a physical.

Tim - thanks for posting this. The power of the blog is really as amazing as this group. Your example and more importantly your words- even if it gets one person to take a proactive step in his or her health - may just change someone's life.

Anne and Tim - and others who have lost family to cancer and other diseases, consider this: by telling their story and educating others, you are honoring their lives with your efforts to affect others.

See, it's really not all about the running, is it...

stephen said...

I agree with Tim. Get checked.

Five other guys can rest easy because I'm the one out of six.

My physician added the prostate check to my yearly physical when I was 41. I thought it rather silly but went along with it. It didn't seem as silly a few years later when I was 46 and he felt 'something'. A few biopsies later and I learned I had prostate cancer. After mulling over the none-too-great options, I chose surgery. It's been over five years and I'm cancer free. The odds are in my favor now.

It made no sense that I would've had cancer. The docs were surprised. I was too young, too thin, too fit, too vegetarian, and had none of the usual characteristics of their typical patient. Go figure.

If my physician hadn't started checking me, I would be facing really ugly problems now.

Tim, thanks for speaking out.

Get checked!