Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Kiss the Bricks!!


For my money, the absolute greatest part of the Indy Mini Half Marathon is the chance to run a lap around the world-famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway, better known as "The Brickyard". This track is home to the biggest race in motor sports, the Indy 500, as well as the NASCAR Brickyard 400 (we were there last year!), probably the second biggest race in NASCAR.

The Brickyard is a 2.5 mile track (yes, you will run a full lap...even more actually). The Brickyard name comes from the fact that the track originally was laid with bricks...3.2 million of them! Today the track is asphalt, but a bit of the Brickyard's history remains at the Start/Finish line of the track. There you will find a one-yard wide strip of bricks across the track.

It is tradition that the winner of the Brickyard 400 NASCAR race kisses the bricks following the race. The picture above is of Tony Stewart after he won last year's Brickyard 400.

So, as you pass the "yard of bricks" while you are doing your lap around The Brickyard, make like a NASCAR driver, drop to your knees, and kiss the bricks. How often do you get to do that? I did it last year and certainly will this year!

3 comments:

Mary L. Rogers said...

I won't be the winner - but you know, in honor of Brickyard (I'm a NASCAR fan, sad to say), I just might do this. Too bad I can't carry a camera in my pockets!

Anonymous said...

To Kiss the Bricks will be a highlight to remember!

Mary L. Rogers said...

I ran tonight with a camera in my pocket - no problem. I'll just get someone to take a pic as I kiss the bricks! When will I ever get to do that again?